Contact us on 07391270659 Water in Oil Tank Antrim We were instructed by homeowners in…
Oil Leak and Oil Spill Response
Had an Oil Spill or Oil Leak?
Oil leaks and spills are extremely common in Northern Ireland. If your property is supplied by home heating oil, there are a number of occasions when you should be concerned:
- Unusual consumption of home heating oil
- Strong heating oil odours inside your home, garage or garden
- Die back of lawn, shrubs or hedgerow
- Staining of concrete or paving in close proximity to boiler, oil tank or along oil feed pipe
- If your neighbour has had a loss of oil close to the boundary with your property
If you suspect an oil leak, contact SSS Alleviate 07391270659 to undertake oil leak detection immediately!
Where do oil spills occur from?
There are three main sources of oil loss on your property. If you have ruled out all three or you are on gas, it is highly possible that the issue may be coming from a neighbouring property. Oil vapours can travel long distances and can sometimes impact several properties.
Cracking in tanks is extremely common, if your tank is at risk contact us now for an urgent oil transfer.
Oil Supply Pipes
These leaks are usually buried and therefore not as easily spotted. We can pressure test oil pipes to confirm an issue.
What happens when you contact SSS Alleviate?
- Immediately Visit Your Property
- Confirm the Source of the Leak
- Stop any Further Loss of Oil
- Ensure you Still Have a Heating Supply
- Ensure there is no Impact to Human Health
- Explain the Likely Impact and Next Steps
Is your oil tank leaking?
If you have noticed an urgent issue with your oil tank such as bulging or a cracking, we urge you to contact us immediately.
It is important to act quickly in order to prevent oil entering the ground which can damage your property and the environment. Even a small bit of oil can cause a lot of damage!
We can respond quickly to undertake an emergency heating oil transfer to a temporary tank for safe storage. This can then be connected up to your boiler to ensure you have heat until your replacement tank is installed.
Oil Smell in your home?
Heating oil leaks and spills can result in strong odours or fumes inside your home. These oil fumes can travel long distances and impact several properties, e.g. via drainage infrastructure. It is important to investigate the source of these fumes immediately. Our scientific equipment tests the level of the oil fumes in the air to check with it is at a safe level for your family. If the fumes are too high, we can install a temporary vapour extraction unit to extract the fumes and ensure the air readings are at a safe level.
Are oil spill fumes dangerous?
Inhalation of fumes may irritate the mucous membranes and cause irritation, dizziness and nausea. Many people often complain of headaches and eye irritation. The effects can vary per person, however, young children and the elderly/unwell are more likely to be impacted by the fumes. It is extremely important these odours are investigated immediately, however, in the meantime ensure you ventilate your home with fresh air.
What to do if you have an oil spill or leak?
If you are heating a home with oil, there is a real possibility of an oil leak. If this happens, there is a risk to property, human health and the environment, so taking the correct course of action is crucial!
Here are some key things to remember if it happens to you:
- Act Fast – if you notice unusual heating oil consumption, smell of oil or visual signs of pollution investigate immediately! The sooner you act, the more likely you can limit the damage!
- Switch off Oil Supply – In all cases switch off the supply at your oil tank through the isolation valve! This can prevent any further loss from the oil feed pipe or oil boiler if these are the issue.
- Inspect – Visually inspect your oil tank, oil feed pipe and boiler for an oil spill. If you cannot see an obvious issue, check with neighbours to see whether they have had an oil spill. The contamination may have migrated across the boundary into your property.
- Contain – If you find the source of the leak, place a tray under any leak to prevent any loss to the ground. If there is a crack in the tank, rub household soap into it which should temporarily prevent any further leakage. Use sand or soil to soak it up and prevent travel towards watercourses or drains.
- Ring for help – Whether you have discovered the issue or not, ring a specialist contractor to investigate and undertake emergency works. You can ring you insurer who will appoint one for you or appoint your own specialist like SSS Alleviate.
- Isolate the Area – Keep children and pets away from the impacted area.
- Odours – If there is a smell of oil inside your property, air it out by opening doors and windows. A specialist contractor will install fan to ensure your home remains habitable.
- Calculate – try to work out how much oil has been lost. You will be asked this information by specialist contractors and your insurance company.
- Never use detergents or a hose to wash the spill away – this can make it worse.
Do I need Oil Spill Clean up?
Each job is different, whether you need to clean up or remediate the oil spill depends on the quantity lost and risk to:
- Your property
- Neighbouring property
- Human Health e.g. fumes
- Surface Water e.g. Lakes, Rivers, Sea
- Drinking & Ground Waters
- Drainage Infrastructure
If there are any concerns that it is more than just a minor leak, we strongly encourage that you get it checked out. Early action can help minimise damage and the cost of remedial works and lost oil. If the lost oil from your property is impacting a sensitive receptor, you could be held liable for repair costs. Contact us now on 07391270659 to investigate or for more advice.
Recent oil spill projects..
Check out some of our other recent projects..
Contact us on 07391270659 Pump Out Oil Tank We were contacted by some concerned homeowners…
Contact us on 07391270659 Oil Tank Replacement Tyrone Following a recent house purchase at a…
Contact us on 07391270659 Oil Tank Replacement Lurgan SSS Alleviate received an emergency call once…
Contact us on 07391270659 Water in Oil Tank Removal Portadown SSS Alleviate were instructed to…